Sat, 20 Aug 2022

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Dec. 6 (Xinhua) -- Brunei began the administration of second dose of COVID-19 vaccine for adolescents aged 12 to 17 on Monday.

According to Minister of Health Haji Mohd Isham, the youngsters should have no quarantine orders or self-isolation notices. If they recently recovered from COVID-19, they should wait no less than four weeks after recovery.

The minister also urged parents and guardians to ensure that the young people receive their second dose according to schedule.

As for booster shots, the minister said the booster jabs are at first administered to frontliners and recently expanded to those aged 50 and above. The vaccine supply for booster shots should be sufficient if deliveries are received according to plan, the minister said.

Brunei has said COVID-19 vaccines from Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca, China's Sinopharm, and Johnson and Johnson would be administered in the country.

During the first phase of Brunei's COVID-19 National Vaccination Program that began in April, frontliners were administered mostly with China's Sinopharm vaccine because of its earlier arrival and a shorter interval between two doses.

Brunei has kicked off a COVID-19 vaccine immunity study last month on 3,000 individuals, who have completed their full vaccination with Sinopharm, AstraZeneca or Moderna.

There will also be a follow-up study after the booster shots have been administered to assess the effects of the additional dose on the immune system.

The latest official statistics showed that as of Sunday, a total of 404,451 individuals had received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccines under the National Vaccination Program, which is 94.1 percent of the total population.

Meanwhile, 352,186 individuals had completed the second dose of the COVID-19 vaccines, which is 81.9 percent of the total population.

The country reported 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total tally to 15,202 with 100 deaths.

All the newly recorded cases were local infections.

While the source of six local infections was still under investigation, three new clusters have been detected and three clusters were closed with no new cases in the clusters for 28 days. Currently the number of active clusters stands at 111, according to the health ministry.

There are a total of 14,837 recoveries reported from the pandemic and 265 active cases still being treated and monitored in the Southeast Asian country.

More Brunei News

Access More

Sign up for Brunei News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!